Based in Perm, Russia
17th of February 2017
Long-long time ago the world was created out of an egg-shell by a god named Yen. In the murky depths of the endless ocean the Lower World was born. The Middle World was made for the men to dwell, and the Upper World was were the ancient gods would reside. Multitude of spirits dwells among the layers of creation, guarding their secrets in the dark. Embark on a journey through all the worlds of ancient myth, find artefacts of Chud' tribes and solve all the mysteries of finno-ugric tales. You are the Mooseman and you have the ability to see all that is hidden to the mortal eye. You are about to visit three layers of this universe - the first one is the Lower World where ancient spirits dwell.
The game started out in a gamejam in early 2015 and was first planned as a runner with visuals taking roots in Perm Animal Style. Perm Animal Style is a unique metal plastic form, an animal style that existed till the XIIth century A.D. This style is a foundation of the game, and it kept its role up till the release in 2017. Artefacts of this style depict strange mythological creatures (one of which bears name Mooseman) and ancient gods of creators of these artefacts - finno-ugric tribes of Ural. During the jam we realized that the game becomes something bigger, than was initially planned. Ancient myths, underlying the animal style demanded more thoughtful gameplay that the runner genre could afford, and when the jam ended the game ended up to be an adventure style game with several puzzles completed and playable. After the jam Vladimir Beletsky (code, art, programming) and Mikhail Shvachko (sound effects, music) continued working on the game as a side project. During the development we realised that the narrative of the game could not be based on myths of Perm animal style because of simple reason that these myths do not exist anymore. This is the reason of work that was made to reconstruct the animal style myth based on culture of komi-permians, komi-zyrians, mansi and saamic people. We've read a bunch of scientific research on this matter and talked with local museums and scientists and arrived where the game stands now - a solar myth depicting the journey of the Mooseman - half-god, half-human. Another important aspect of the game is music. it is based on folk music of komi people. Some folk songs were performed and recorded for the game by Perm regional college of arts and culture. The game was translated to the komi-permian language. Some parts of the game are voiced by the native speaker. Game release was on 17th of February 2017 - the day of komi-permian language. After the release developers started working on mobile and version of the game. Now the developers are working on an unannounced project.
- Explore the worlds inspired by Perm animal style.
- Dive into the deep atmosphere of folk Komi music.
- Meet long forgotten gods and spirits.
- Learn the ancient myths of finno-ugric tribes.
- Don't expect an easy journey, there are riddles in the dark.
- Unlock new abilities and use them to get to the Upper World.
- Find all the artefacts that are hidden from the mortal eye.
Gameplay Video YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "GamesJamUnity" 1st place
- "DevGAMM 2016 Moscow" Best Narrative
- "GamesJamKanobu 2016" Best game, 3rd place
- "GamesJamKanobu 2016" DevGAMM Choice
- "XGM.guru Project Support" Winner of the "Unique idea" nomination in gamejam on http://www.xgm.guru
- "I’ve always enjoyed games that focus on the atmosphere and The Mooseman delivers. Not only does it look good, the soundtrack and audio effects are excellent."
- Alexandru Chirila, Softpedia.com
- "It’s a tough puzzle adventure with beautiful artwork and a great sense of atmosphere."
- Calum Fraser, alphabetagamer
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
Latest demo version
Available for free from our website http:.
Available for free from https:.
We are a small indie studio from Perm, Russia. Our projects are mythology and ethnic-based with the narrative and worlds supported by historical facts and folklore. The name of the studio comes from wordplay of "Mort", which is French for "dead" and Komi for "a man", and "Matryoshka", the famous Russian doll. Our team currently consists of five people.
More information on Morteshka, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Mooseman Credits
Gamedesigner, Programmer, Artist
Music composer, Sound designer
presskit() by Rami Ismail (Vlambeer) - also thanks to these fine folks